The Greater New Orleans STEM Initiative (GNO STEM) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Power & Energy Society (PES) have partnered to bring an exciting competition to high school students in the Greater New Orleans area.
Local high school teams will be challenged to design and build windmills while they explore offshore wind energy. Teams will have the opportunity to present their designs
2022 IEEE/PES Transmission & Distribution
Conference & Exposition
"Power in Discovery"
Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans
Thursday, April 28, 2022
Here's what you need to know:
- Teams of 3-5 students work on a single project and will present their projects at the IEEE/PES conference on Thursday, April 28, 2022.
- Students will have the opportunity to tour the Exhibit Floor with young professional guides.
- Participating students and teachers/chaperones will receive complimentary lunch on the day of the competition.
- Student teams will have a mentor from the engineering field for support with projects and research.
- Students in their Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year are eligible.
- Materials kits with instructions for the challenge will be provided to schools for student teams.
Challenges/activities will include:
- Windmill Design Challenge
- Siting an Offshore Wind Farm Challenge
- Wind Blade Design Challenge
1st, 2nd & 3rd place monetary prizes will be awarded to students and their respective classrooms.
Plus, students compete for special category awards!
Schools must sign up to enter the challenge by March 31, 2022. To enter or to learn more, contact Cathie.Smith@gnostem.org by March 31, 2022.
Share our flyer!